- Apprentice Lawyer
The Centre for Communication Governance at National Law University, Delhi (CCG), is calling for applications for the DIGITAL (Digital Rights and Inclusive Technology for All) Fellowship, to be offered to successful candidates for a period of 10 months on a full-time basis.
The Fellows will be placed in a civil society organisation / litigation chambers that engages in digital rights litigation, and will also develop related legal and policy research under the guidance of CCG.
The Centre for Communication Governance at National Law University Delhi is the only academic research centre dedicated to working on information law and policy in India and is a leading centre on information policy in Asia.
CCG seeks to embed constitutional rights and good governance within information law and policy and examine the evolution of existing rights frameworks to accommodate new media and emerging technology.
It aims to protect and expand the rights to dignity and equality, freedom of speech, right to assembly and association, and the right to privacy in the digital age, through rigorous academic research, policy intervention, capacity building, and litigation support.
About the Fellowship
With increasing internet penetration and the rapid increase of internet users in the country, digital rights have become a core focus within the ambit of the protection of civil liberties.
In the last few years, there have been several important judicial pronouncements stemming from digital rights litigation, whether it was the landmark Puttaswamy I judgement upholding the fundamental right to privacy in the Indian Constitution, or the more recent Anuradha Bhasin judgement which clarified that the right to freedom of expression online was a fundamental right.
However, several vital questions relating to freedom of expression and privacy in the digital age are yet to be clarified by the courts. Currently, Indian courts are grappling with questions on intermediary liability, the legality of provisions in Indian laws enabling surveillance, website content blocking and internet shutdown orders, to name a few.
These cases and others like them will define India’s digital rights landscape for at least the next decade, if not longer. However, digital rights litigation in India is currently facing significant challenges including resource constraints in terms of research and domain expertise, and also inadequate collaboration among the different lawyers engaged in cases in this space and civil society organisations working on these issues.
To address these issues and give further impetus to this essential work, CCG is excited to announce the DIGITAL Fellowship 2021.
The Fellowship has the following objectives
● Supporting the development and advancement of digital rights by providing high quality legal and research support and effectively intervening in cases relating to digital rights, including freedom of expression and privacy.
● Engaging in and produce legal and policy research around the theme of digital rights.
● Building an inclusive and mutually supportive digital rights and technology litigation community in India with a long term vision for shaping the development of law and policy in this domain in India.
Applicants for the Fellowship must –
● Be born on or after January 1, 1988;
● Be enrolled with the Bar;
● Demonstrate a strong interest in and commitment to the development of digital rights;
● Have excellent legal writing, drafting and oral advocacy skills.
Preference will be given to applicants with a minimum of two years’ experience in litigation.
A monthly, non-negotiable stipend of INR 50,000 /- will be provided to each Fellow. The Fellowship will commence in January 2021.
How to apply
Interested applicants must submit –
● A signed and completed DIGITAL Fellowship Application Form.
● A two-page Curriculum Vitae;
● A writing sample (published or unpublished article, essay, blog) between 1,000-2,000 words on a topic related to the Fellowship.
● Names and contact details of two professional or academic referees who can be contacted for an oral or a short written reference (to be filled in the form).
Please combine the CV and writing samples in a single PDF file labelled with “Your name - DIGITAL Fellowship”. The PDF should be uploaded on the link provided in the application form.
All applications must be submitted by December 22, 2020, 11:59 PM IST.
Queries regarding the DIGITAL Fellowship 2021 can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Access the full call for applications at https://bit.ly/3mv6XIh
If you would like your event/Call for Papers/Call for Applications to be published on Bar & Bench, please fill in the form available here.