The Confederation of Alumni for National Law Universities (CAN) Foundation has announced five candidates who have been selected for the Dhananjay 2021 scholarship, two of whom are IDIA scholars.
The candidates selected under Project Dhananjay 2021 will be paid a scholarly stipend ranging between Rs. 15,000-18,000 per month from the date of starting their professional practice before any Court in the country.
The five candidates selected this year are Divyanshu Jain from NLUO, Cuttack, Rishab Joshi from HPNLU, Shimla, Sarath KP from NUALS, Kochi, who was also an IDIA scholar, Vinudeep R from from TNNLU, Tiruchirappalli and Trilok Chand from NLUO, Cuttack, who is also an IDIA Scholar.
The Dhananjay Project is CAN's financial support scheme for graduates. The project aims to encourage fresh graduates to join litigation right at the threshold of their professional lives.
The project seeks to provide an incubatory period to young entrants to the legal profession and to dispel their anxieties and apprehensions while venturing into litigation.
Some candidates may even be placed with lawyers with highly successful practices and Senior Advocates
The Patrons for Dhananjay 2021 are:
- Sidharth Luthra, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court.
- Nidhesh Gupta, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court.
- Manoj Swarup, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court.
The Foundation had received seven applications, of which five were selected.
The selection committee conducted a preliminary examination, examined the documents of the candidates, and took a final call as to the candidates’ merit.
The selection committee comprised of:
- Amalpushp Shroti (AOR, Supreme Court)
- Archana Pathak Dave (AOR, Supreme Court)
- T Singhdev (Advocate, Delhi High Court)
- Mrigank Prabhakar (AOR, Supreme Court)
- Tariq Khan (Principal Associate, Advani & Co.)
The selection criteria included:
- A B.A. LL.B. degree from any National Law University.
- Less than Rs. 30,000 per month as remuneration.
- No less than 65% in the last two years of their program.
- Not less than 75% attendance in the last two years of their program.
- Annual cumulative family income cannot exceed Rs. 15 lakhs per annum.
[Read Final Report Here]