- Apprentice Lawyer
The ILSA Law College Dehradun Chapter is delighted to invite you to the 3rd Edition of International Legal Essay Writing Competition, 2021 on “International Refugee Law”.
About Law College Dehradun
Law College Dehradun, faculty of Uttaranchal University, an institution contributing splendidly to legal education since 2002, invites you to the new edition of its annual mooting affair, the 5th Law College Dehradun National Moot Court Competition at Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
The International Law Students Association is a non profit association of students and lawyers who are dedicated to the promotion of international law. ILSA provides students with opportunities to study, research, and network in the international legal arena.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
The 3 year-old ILSA LCD Chapter hereby announces its third event in the third consecutive year: International Legal Essay Competition, 2021. Themed on International Law, which the ILSA seeks to promote on an overall level, this Essay Competition envisages to promote and develop the ability of a student to think on a Global Legal Perspective, including the test of legal drafting skills.
Certain International Law Topics based on International Refugee Law have been most carefully chosen which possess global relevance as well as encourage the participant’s freedom to analyze and convey their thoughts and probable solutions on the same.
ELIGIBILITY AND AUTHORSHIP
➢ Students pursuing the three or five-year LL.B. course from any Law school/ college/ university affiliated in India are eligible to participate. Students from around the world pursuing law courses are also eligible to participate.
➢ Students pursuing their LL.M. from any Law school/ college/ university are eligible to participate.
➢ Students pursuing their Graduation/ Masters in areas related to Refugee Law are eligible to participate.
➢ Co-authorship to a maximum of two authors is permitted.
➢ Only one submission shall be allowed per author, and in case of co-authors, one submission shall be deemed to include both. Separate submissions of both shall be taken as multiple submission which will be subject to rejection and disqualification.
THEME & TOPICS
The theme for the Essay Competition shall be “International Refugee Law.”
The topics must be chosen from/inspired by the any aspect of International Refugee Law. Some of the suggested topics are:
1. Understanding a Refugee and Determination in International Law: The 1951 Refugee Convention
2. Asylum and the Principle of Non-Refoulement
3. The 1951 Refugee Convention: A Euro-Centric Treaty or adaptive Globally?
4. India’s Refugee Policies: From 1960s to 2021
5. The role of UNHCR and other local bodies in Refugee protection.
6. Reasons and Causes of Refugee Flow and the Responsibility of the State.
7. International Law and Internally Displaced Persons: A Reality Check on India’s Citizenship Amendment Act from an International perspective
8. Conceptualizing Forced Migration in a State-Centric World with special reference to Push and Pull Model of Migration.
9. New Migration-Security Paradigm: Status and Content of the Principle of Non-Refoulement
10. Refugee Communities and the Human Rights Concerns
11. Internally Displaced Person: Status, Rights and Duties; A reality check of the Human Rights Violation.
12. Environmental Induced Migration: Effects and Solutions
13. Smuggling and Trafficking of Migrants and the role of the International Community.
14. Growth of the International Law relating to Refugee
Registration & Abstract Submission
Registration for the Competition shall be free of cost.
Submission of Abstract shall amount to registration for the Competition.
A brief abstract not exceeding 250-300 words, on the topic chosen, must be emailed to the organizers at email@example.com in PDF format on or before 15th April 2021.
The subject of the email must be “Abstract Submission for ILSA LCD CHAPTER International Legal Essay Competition, 2021”.
1. The author with the highest score in an essay will be declared as the “Winner” and shall be awarded a cash prize of INR 10,000/-
2. The author with the second highest score in an essay will be declared as the “1st Runner-up” and shall be awarded a cash prize of INR 7,500/-
3. The author with the third highest score in an essay will be declared as the “2nd Runner-up” and shall be awarded a cash prize of INR 5,000/-
4. TOP TEN ENTRIES shall be awarded a CERTIFICATE OF MERIT.
5. Participation Certificate in Essay Competition shall be awarded, via email, to all the participants upon the successful submission of Essay.
6. The result shall be declared in an online Symposium, the date for the same shall be conveyed to the participants after 10 days from the date of the final submission of the essay.
➢ Release of Competition: 5th March, 2021
➢ Last Date for Abstract Submission: 15th April, 2021
➢ Last Date for Essay Submission: 10th May, 2021
➢ Virtual Symposium followed by declaration of Results: Last week of May, 2021
1. Rahul Kumar, Chief Officer, ILSA LCD Chapter +91 7903435470
2. Krishna Nigam, Event Coordinator +91 7379349929
3. Ritu Bhandari, Event Coordinator +91 7409307445
If you would like your campus event to be published on Bar & Bench, please fill in the form available here.