About the NLU, Odisha
National Law University Odisha (NLUO), Cuttack was established by Act 4 of 2008by the Odisha State Legislature and started imparting education in Law from the Academic Year 2009-10. NLUO was established keeping in mind a clearly enunciated vision of advancement of learning, teaching, research, diffusion of knowledge in the field of law and catering to the needs of society by developing the professional skills of those intending to take up the professions of Advocacy, Judicial Services, Legal services, and so on. NLUO has significantly catered to the needs of the research in various legal fields by paving way for various dedicated research centers.
About the Centre for Consumer Law
Centre for Consumer Law is one of the centres which aim at promoting research and study in the field of Consumer Law, from a domestic as well as global perspective with a policy and practical oriented purpose. This Centre is aimed at furthering the cause of access to legal justice for consumers.
About the Workshop
The workshop has been designed keeping in mind the importance of the application of consumer law and the growing demand and attraction towards mediation as an alternative dispute resolution mechanism. It will primarily focus on spreading awareness about the need and importance of mediation and the role it has as per the Consumer Protection Act, 2019. It also aims to discuss the provisions for mediation under the new Act and how beneficial it can be for common citizens. The workshop will include sessions wherein various legal luminaries will share their insightful knowledge and ideas.
About the Speakers
The sessions shall be welcome addressed by Prof. (Dr.) Ved Kumari, Vice-Chancellor, NLUO
Keynote Speaker - We are honoured to have Hon’ble Justice Gita Mittal, Former Chief Justice, J&K High Court, as our Keynote Speaker.
1. Hon’ble (Dr). Justice D.P. Choudhury, President, Odisha State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.
2. Prof. (Dr.) Yogesh Pratap Singh, Registrar and Professor of Law, NLUO.
3. Prof. Bejon Mishra, Honorary Professor, NLUO.
4. Prof. Suresh Misra, Chair Professor, Centre for Consumer Studies, Indian Institute of Public Administration.
5. Prof. (Dr.) Ashok Patil, Chair Professor, Chair of Consumer Law and Practice (Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Government of India).
6. Adv. J. P. Sengh, Senior Advocate, High Court of Delhi.
7. Adv. Veena Ralli, Organising Secretary, Samadhan, Delhi High Court Mediation and Conciliation Centre.
8. Adv. Aditya Prakash Rao, Partner, PLR Chambers.
9. Adv. Avinash Amarnath, Advocate-on-Record, Supreme Court of India.
Themes of the Workshop
1. Requirement of Online Mediation for Consumers.
2. Role and Appointment of an Unbiased Mediator in the Dispute Resolution.
3. Mediation Support Mechanisms under Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
4. The Future of Mediation for Consumers.
5. Process of Mediation Under Consumer Protection Act, 2019 and Its Best Practices.
1. Students of National Law University Odisha.
2. Faculty members and Administrative Staff of National Law University Odisha.
3. Students and Faculty Members of various Law Schools across the country.
4. Lawyers, Officials of Civil Society Organizations, Officials of Voluntary Consumer Organizations and officials of Food Security and Consumer Welfare Department , Government of Odisha.
Date – 27th - 28th September 2021.
Timing – 10 Am to 04 Pm.
Platform – Google Meet.
Interested students, academicians, legal practitioners etc. can register themselves by filling in their details here.
Registration Link: https://forms.gle/1tqALh4EPuiEY9hk9
A fee of Rs. 100/- can be paid electronically through UPI ID: jain.sachin1010@oksbi or phone number +91 96172 47766.
The registration shall be open till 25 September 2021, 11:59 Pm.
Certificate of Participation will be awarded to all the participants.
In case of any query, please feel free to write back to us.
Email ID - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile No. +91 96172 47766 / +91 63704 50064
If you would like your campus event to be published on Bar & Bench, please fill in the form available here.