Society moves Supreme Court against ₹92 lakh fees for use of ground near JLN for Ramlila celebrations

Shree Ram Dharmik Ramlila Samiti said the High Court imposed a financial liability that had not been sought by the rival society.
Lord Ram Statue
Lord Ram Statue
Published on
3 min read
Listen to this article

The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to the Sports Authority of India (SAI) on a plea by Shree Ram Dharmik Ramlila Samiti challenging the imposition of charges exceeding ₹92 lakh for using an open ground near Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium for its 2023 Ramlila celebrations [Shree Ram Dharmik Ramlila Samiti v. Sports Authority of India]

A Bench of Justices MM Sundresh and Prasanna B Varale sought responses from SAI and other respondents.

Justice M.M. Sundresh and Justice Prasanna B. Varale
Justice M.M. Sundresh and Justice Prasanna B. Varale

The Court was hearing Shree Ram Samiti’s challenge to a December 18, 2025 judgment by which a division bench of the Delhi High Court dismissed its appeal and upheld a single-judge’s direction to recover the full booking charges from it.

According to the plea, the direction requires the society to pay SAI ₹92.29 lakh as charges for booking the open ground near gate no 2 of JLN Stadium for 34 days.

The amount was calculated at ₹2.25 lakh per day plus taxes, instead of the ₹1.5 lakh daily rate approved by SAI for bookings exceeding 15 days, the plea said.

During the hearing today, Senior Advocate K Parameshwar appeared for Shree Ram Dharmik Ramlila Samiti.

K Parameshwar
K Parameshwar

The dispute is between two registered societies - Shree Ram Dharmik Ramlila Samiti and Dakshinii Delhi Dharmik Ramlila Samiti - over the use of an open space near gate no 2 of the JLN Stadium for the 2023 Ramlila and Dussehra celebrations.

Shree Ram Samiti had initially booked the venue for 34 days before reducing the period to 24 days. SAI confirmed the booking at ₹1.5 lakh per day plus GST and a security deposit.

Dakshinii Samiti then approached the Delhi High Court, alleging that the longer initial booking had blocked the online portal and prevented it from applying for the same dates. It sought cancellation of the allotment and allocation of the venue to itself.

The single-judge did not cancel Shree Ram Samiti’s booking since it had been made through the prescribed procedure. However, the Court found that the society had unfairly used the process by first reserving the venue for a longer period and later reducing the dates, thereby preventing another applicant from booking it.

The single-judge also criticised SAI for allowing the booking period to be altered and granting a concession. It consequently directed SAI to recover charges from Shree Ram Samiti at ₹2.25 lakh per day plus GST for the original 34-day period.

A division bench upheld this direction on December 18, 2025.

It held that SAI had failed to act fairly and transparently and that Dakshinii Samiti should have been given an opportunity to book the venue when the dates were changed.

Shree Ram Samiti has challenged this ruling before the Supreme Court.

According to its appeal, Dakshinii Samiti had sought only cancellation and re-allotment of the venue and had made no prayer for the recovery of enhanced charges.

As per the plea, SAI’s tariff prescribed a rate of ₹1.5 lakh per day for bookings exceeding 15 days and that the High Court effectively rewrote this policy by applying the highest rate of ₹2.25 lakh per day.

Further, Dakshinii Samiti had itself used the venue at concessional rates in previous years, it was pointed out.

The matter will be heard next on 26 November.

The petition was filed through advocate Sukrit Seth.

[Read Live Coverage]

Bar and Bench - Indian Legal news
www.barandbench.com