- Apprentice Lawyer
- Legal Jobs
The death warrant of the Nirbhaya convicts has stated the date of execution as March 20.
Nirbhaya convicts Vinay, Pawan and Akshay today moved the Court of Additional Sessions Judge Dharmender Rana seeking a stay on the execution of death warrant.
All four accused are slated to be hanged on March 20.
"You always come at the eleventh hour", Judge Dharmender Rana told counsel for the convicts, Advocate AP Singh.
The Court then sought status report from Tihar Jail Authorities and listed the matter for hearing at 12 noon.
The three convicts have sought to stay their execution on the grounds of pendency of the following legal proceedings:
1. "Second review mercy petition" by Pawan.
2. Curative Petition before the Supreme Court by Pawan with respect to his plea of juvenility at the time of the incident.
3. Criminal complaint by Pawan against Tihar Jail security personnel for beating him in jail.
4. Second "review mercy petition" by convict Pawan.
5. Divorce petition by Akshay's wife before a Bihar court.
6. Writ petition before the Delhi High Court challenging the irregularities in rejection of convict Vinay's mercy petition.
7. Appeal before the Delhi High Court concerning the false testimony by the sole witness.
8. Plea for urgent hearing before the International Court of Justice.
9. Appeal against robbery case against the convicts.
Apart from these proceedings, in the application filed through Adv AP Singh, the three convicts have also raised concerns of COVID-19 in the city, stating that all mass gathering have been prohibited.
In view of the pendency of the above legal proceedings, the convicts have sought a sine die stay on the execution of the death sentence.