[BREAKING] It is official; Supreme Court to get nine new judges after Central government clears all collegium recommendations of August 17
The Central government has cleared all the nine names recommended by the Supreme Court Collegium for appointment as judges of the top court.
With these appointments, the working strength of the Supreme Court will rise from 24 to 33. The sanctioned strengthened of the top court is 34 and it is currently functioning with 10 vacancies.
This development also paves the way for Justice BV Nagarathna to become the first woman Chief Justice of India in 2027.
The following are the judges who have been cleared for elevation by Centre:
- Chief Justice of Telangana High Court, Justice Hima Kohli
- Karnataka High Court judge, Justice BV Nagarathna (could become the first woman Chief Justice of India)
- Gujarat High Court judge, Justice Bela Trivedi
- Senior Advocate PS Narasimha
High Court judges and Chief Justices:
- Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court, Justice AS Oka
- Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court, Justice Vikram Nath
- Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court, Justice JK Maheshwari
- Kerala High Court judge, Justice CT Ravikumar
- Madras High Court Judge, Justice MM Sundresh
Out of the nine, three - Justices Vikram Nath and BV Nagarathna and Senior Advocate PS Narasimha will go on to become the Chief Justice of India (CJI).
Narasimha will be the ninth lawyer ever to be appointed directly from the Bar to the Supreme Court. He will also be the third person directly appointed from the Bar to be the CJI.