- Apprentice Lawyer
- Legal Jobs
In the last hearing on November 16, the Bench of Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and KM Joseph had directed that a copy of the Central Vigilance Committee (CVC) report be served on Alok Verma so that he can respond to it.
The Court had also said that as per the report, some charges levelled against Verma need to be probed.
Yesterday, Alok Verma submitted his response to the CVC report in a sealed cover.
Here are live updates of today’s hearing:
– Bench assembles in Supreme Court, hearing commences.
– CJI Ranjan Gogoi agitated with Fali Nariman over the mentioning yesterday seeking additional time to file reply. Nariman says mentioning by Gopal Sankaranarayanan yesterday was “unauthorised” and he was not even informed. He got to know from media.
– “For reasons which the Court is not inclined to record”, the hearing has been deferred. Will be taken up next on November 29.
– CJI Ranjan Gogoi handed over a report of The Wire to Fali Nariman, which has contents of response of Alok Verma which was supposed to be in sealed cover. CJI Gogoi deeply upset by the same.
– Fali Nariman once again asks the Court to give some time before the Bench rises to make some clarifications
– Fali Nariman says The Wire article handed over to him is about response to CVC and it was published before the Supreme Court order. “We did not give the article to you as a counsel for Alok Verma”, says CJI Gogoi.
– Gopal Sankaranarayanan seeks to clarify his stance, CJI Gogoi refuses to hear him. “Nobody is under any clout that they should seek clearance from us”, CJI Gogoi.
– Alok Verma’s AoR says mentioning was authorised by her client, mentioning by Gopal Sankaranarayanan was not unauthorised. CJI Gogoi refuses to hear her as well.
– “We are unable to help you due to the inefficiency of the counsel. We want to know what is going on. This is not a platform for people to come and express what they want. We will set it right”, CJI Gogoi.
– “We expressed that highest degree of confidentiality should be maintained and this litigant takes the papers and shares it with everyone. Our respect for this institution is not shared by anyone for some strange reason”, CJI Gogoi.
Read the order below.