The Delhi Police has approached the Delhi High Court challenging the bail granted to a 57-year-old man accused of raping a 3-year-old girl in a private school in Delhi.
Justice Saurabh Banerjee today issued notice to the accused and listed the case for further proceedings on May 29.
The incident came to light on May 1, 2026, after the child’s mother filed a complaint alleging that her daughter had been sexually assaulted during school hours by a 57-year-old school caretaker.
The child, a nursery student, complained of pain after returning home and later identified the accused.
Police registered a case under sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act before arresting the caretaker. However, the accused was granted bail by a Dwarka court in a week.
Additional Solicitor General (ASG) SV Raju appeared for the Delhi Police and stated that the case was registered under the POCSO Act and that the offence carries a maximum sentence of life and a minimum of 20 years in prison.
He added that the child has identified the accused.
"Gross case. It is absolutely a case for cancellation of bail," Raju said.
Advocate Rishikesh Kumar appeared for the victim and stated that they have also filed a plea seeking cancellation of the bail and that the same is likely to be listed for hearing tomorrow.
Kumar said that another accused, a teacher in the school, has also been arrested in the case and that the trial court is likely to hear that bail application in the coming days as well.
Both ASG Raju and Kumar requested the Bench to list the matter soon.
The Court then gave the accused 10 days to reply to the plea and listed the matter on May 29.