The Delhi High Court on Tuesday ordered late businessman Sunjay Kapur's wife Priya Kapur and sister Mandhira Kapur to refrain from making public statements against each other.
Justice Mini Pushkarna said that the Court expects both parties to conduct themselves with dignity.
"We expect you not to make any public statements against each other… Conduct yourself with dignity, this is what the court expects,” the Court said.
The Court passed the order while hearing a defamation suit filed by Priya Kapur against Mandhira Kapur Smith.
Justice Pushkarna also issued notice to Mandhira Kapur in the defamation case, directing her to file her response within five weeks to the interim relief application. In the application, Priya has sought directions to restrain Mandhira from making defamatory statements against her.
"Issue notice. List after five weeks. In the meantime, both parties are directed to exercise restraint in making statements against each other, directly or indirectly," the Court ordered.
The case will be heard next on May 14.
Priya Kapur has filed a defamation suit before the High Court over statements made by Mandhira Kapur on social media platforms and in the podcast InControversial. Pooja Chaudhari, the host of the show, is also a party to the case.
In her plea, Kapur has sought an injunction against Smith to stop her from making defamatory statements against her and damages of ₹20 crores for the "loss of reputation, mental agony, emotional distress and social humiliation" caused to her.
Priya Kapur argued that Mandhira Kapur repeatedly uploaded and circulated videos and posts on social media platforms, identifying Priya Kapur and making false allegations and accusatory insinuations designed to cause hatred, ridicule and social ostracism.
She said that within days of Sunjay Kapur's demise, Mandhira Kapur Smith "embarked upon a systematic and organised course of conduct aimed at maligning, humiliating and socially discrediting the Plaintiff [Priya Kapur].
Senior Advocate Maninder Singh appeared for Priya Kapur today and referred to some of the allegedly defamatory statements made by Mandhira.
“A grieving widow and a seven-year-old son are subjected to such derogatory statements like that there was no bloodline present. She [Mandhira] is saying they [Priya and her minor son] are thieves, robbers, and third wife, and that she [Priya] was just filling the gap," he said.
Singh added that Priya Kapur has not given any interviews to the media.
Senior Advocate Amit Sibal appeared for Mandhira and stated that she, too, had been targeted, and statements were put out in the media against her.
"Considering the relationship between the parties and media trials that are happening... It’s a telltale. Concerted media vilificatory campaign," he said.
After considering the case, the High Court issued notice on the interim relief application and restrained the parties from making defamatory statements against each other.
The defamation suit was filed through advocate Smriti Asmita.